At the age of 25...

I became the owner of my third cat, wore a tutu in public, auditioned for my first theatrical production in almost six years, moved five times, almsot got my car repossesed, got peed on by third cat on multiple occasions, lived with three men, two lab puppies and my three cats under one roof (was the ONLY female), became an aunt for the second time, worked as a waitress, a role player for a military training site, became unemployed and worked as a receptionist at a law firm, made friends, lost friends, watched my father get laid off, then watched him get diagnosed with parkinsons, had my very first suprise party, had multiple days where I had a closet full of clothing I couldn't wear, had my car broken into for the first time, went to war with Sallie Mae, went to wisconsin for the first time, lost a husband, gained a boyfriend, spent two weeks with my mother watching sappy movies and shopping at trader joes, got peed on by the cat again AND gained almost 40lbs.

I am now 26....your more then welcome to join me for the ride.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Tonight we Disco.

So I have formally decided that I will banish all trace of a diet today and feast on disco fries. It has been well over a year that I have had them. And though tonight I will not eat them in a diner while chain smoking and drinking root beer they will still be the most delish thing on the planet.

For those of you who have NO CLUE what a disco fry is I shall describe it.

Disco Fries are generally served as thick cut steak fries, brown gravy and mozz cheese. Now there are some variations like american cheese instead of mozz, but it's just NOT the same. I think American cheese should only be served with the fries. Such a cheese has not earned the gravy yet. Obviously much like their countries of origin Mozz cheese has been around much longer then American...survived wars, famines, artificial-ness. Mozz just deserves the gravy and the fries. Perhaps someday american cheese you too will know such amazing-ness and earn the name disco. Until then New Jersey will reign as leading disco fry producer and no not even paula dean can bring disco fries out of jersey.

I googled disco fries today because I am that bored at work, and hungry. The top ten items that popped up on google included a recipe for Disco Fries by Paula Dean. IMPOSTER! YOU, Paula Dean, are NOT from the state of New Jersey and therefore should not be recipe-ing a jersey food. Stick to butter dishes and fried chicken. Leave the disco foods to us.

Back in the day (like 6 years ago) I worked at this car dealership in East Hanover, NJ. Supposedly the diner right next door is the origin of the name "Disco Fries". Obviously I can't prove this but think of it as an urban legend. Apparently the night/early morning cook at this diner had these kids come in from the discos every night and every night they would ask for mozz cheese fries with gravy on the side. (Disco fries have been proven to both rescue one from a hangover and prevent a hangover if eaten while still drunk) This cook got so sick of the order that one night he walked out into the dining room of the diner threw a plate of mozz cheese fries on the table and dumped the brown gravy all over the fries. Then he exclaimed, "Here ya damn disco trash, eat your fries now, damn disco fries". And since then Disco fries have been served with the brown gravy on the fries and called Disco fries.

I have no idea if that is true, but I do that my first taste of disco sweetness hasnt left me to this day. Ah, disco fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment